Make-Ahead Freezer Lasagna Florentine
You can bake this freezer casserole directly from frozen without defrosting it first!
Serves: 8Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 2 hours 15 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 box (16 oz.) lasagna noodles
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tsp. basil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 boxes (10 oz.) frozen spinach, defrosted and squeezed of excess water
- 2 cans (6 oz.) tomato paste
- 2 cups hot water
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 3 cups ricotta cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups Parmesan cheese, freshly grated, divided
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 4 cups shredded mozzarella
- Boil lasagna noodles according to the directions on the package. In skillet, sauté onions and basil in olive oil for 5 to 8 minutes until the onions have softened. Add garlic and spinach and sauté 2–3 minutes more.
- Remove from heat. In saucepan, mix the tomato paste with 2 cups of hot water, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Cook over medium heat for 15 minutes. In mixing bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, 1⁄2 cup Parmesan cheese, and eggs. Add the spinach mixture to the cheese mixture and mix well. In small mixing bowl combine remaining Parmesan cheese with the mozzarella cheese.
- In a casserole dish, put a thin layer of tomato sauce. Add alternating layers of noodles, then spinach mixture, then mozzarella and Parmesan cheese, then tomato sauce. Top with mozzarella and Parmesan layer. Wrap tightly and freeze casserole.
- Cover frozen lasagna with foil, and bake it at 375°F for 1 hour 30 minutes–1 hour 45 minutes, or until it is fully heated. Remove foil during the last 15 minutes of baking.