Make-Ahead Freezer Minestrone
Minestrone is a hearty Italian soup loaded with vegetables. You can substitute any of the vegetables in this recipe with ones you have on hand. Pasta has been omitted since fully cooked pasta gets mushy when frozen.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 8 hours 30 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 2 cans (14 oz.) beef broth
- 1 package (10 oz.) frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced
- 4 tsp. dried parsley
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1⁄8 tsp. dried saffron
- 1 can (28 oz.) chopped tomatoes with juice
- In a mixing bowl mix tomato paste and beef broth. Put all other ingredients into slow cooker. Pour beef broth mixture over the top. Cook on low 8 hours. Cool and freeze in a large plastic freezer bag.
- To reheat, warm soup in a large saucepan for 20 to 25 minutes over medium heat and serve.