Make-Ahead Freezer Spinach Lasagna
To serve immediately, after layering ingredients in pan, bake at 375°F for 25 to 30 minutes or until thoroughly heated and bubbly.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 1 hour 10 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 package (16 oz.) lasagna noodles
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 jar (26 oz.) spaghetti sauce with mushrooms
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1⁄8 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 packages (10 oz.) frozen cut-leaf spinach, chopped
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1⁄2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions until almost tender. Remove from pan, rinse with cold water, and set aside on kitchen towels.
- In large saucepan, heat olive oil and butter over medium-high heat. When foamy, add onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until tender, about 10 minutes. Add spaghetti sauce, salt, and pepper to pan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover pan, and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, drain spinach thoroughly and combine with ricotta and egg in medium bowl. Beat well until combined.
- Line 13-by-9-inch baking dish with freezer paper and place 1 cup of sauce in dish. Top with three lasagna noodles and half of the spinach mixture. Top with 3⁄4 cup mozzarella, three noodles, and half of the remaining sauce. Then layer three lasagna noodles, the remaining spinach mixture, and 3⁄4 cup mozzarella. Finish layering with three lasagna noodles and remaining sauce. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and remaining mozzarella.
- Cool lasagna in ice-water bath or refrigerator, then wrap well, label, and freeze.
- To thaw and reheat: Thaw overnight in refrigerator. Bake in preheated 375°F oven for 40 minutes or until thoroughly heated and bubbly.