Make-Ahead Muffin Batter
Nothing beats enjoying fresh muffins in the morning without having to do any stirring or mixing! When preparing make-ahead muffin batter, it’s even more important than usual to not overbeat the batter. Refrigerate the batter and use within one week.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. baking powder
- 3⁄4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, egg, vegetable oil, and vanilla extract.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, and baking powder, mixing well.
- Pour the buttermilk mixture into the dry ingredients. Stir until the mixture is just combined and still a bit lumpy (do not overbeat).
- Fold in the chocolate chips. Cover the bowl and store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- When ready to bake the muffins, fill greased muffin cups about two-thirds full with the muffin batter.
- Bake the muffins in a 375°F oven for 20 to 25 minutes, until they turn a light golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.