Make-Ahead Pie Crust Dough
This versatile recipe makes enough dough for six sweet or savory pies. Use the dough right away or shape individual proportions into a 6-inch disc, wrap in plastic wrap and freeze until needed.
Serves: 36Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup coconut oil
- 6 tsp. orange juice
- 6 tablespoons cold water
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, salt, and sugar.
- In food processor, combine shortening, butter, and coconut oil; mix until combined, scraping down sides twice. Cut shortening mixture into flour mixture until crumbs form. Use the dough right away or shape individual proportions into a six-inch disc, wrap in plastic wrap and freeze until needed.
- To make each pie crust, scoop out 1 1⁄4 cups of the dough and place in medium bowl. Add 1 teaspoon orange juice and 1 to 2 tablespoons cold water; mix with a fork until mixture holds together.
- Roll out between sheets of waxed paper to 11-inch circle. Place in pie plate, fold edges over and flute. If baking before filling, prick with fork and bake at 400°F for 8 to 10 minutes until browned. If filling before baking, do not prick and use as directed in recipe.