Make-Ahead Spinach and Artichoke Dip
This recipe is a tasty alternative to the traditional dip found in many restaurants. It freezes well and can be made ahead of time. Serve with fresh veggies or tortilla chips.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 50 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 3 cups whole milk
- 4 oz. shredded Gruyère cheese
- 2 oz. shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 package (10 oz.) frozen spinach, thawed
- 1 can (14 oz.) artichoke hearts (not marinated or packed in oil), drained and chopped
- 1½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 oz. part-skim mozzarella, shredded
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and stir for 5 minutes, or until the flour is cooked and smells slightly nutty, but is not yet brown. Add the garlic and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute more. Add the milk a cup at a time, stirring well after each addition until there are no lumps. Bring to a boil to thicken, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat and add the Gruyère and Parmesan cheeses.
- Squeeze the extra water out of the spinach and fold it into the cheese sauce. Add the artichokes, salt, and pepper. Pour into a large 2-quart baking dish and top with mozzarella cheese. If you are making this ahead of time, cool, then freeze for up to a month. When you are ready to bake this, thaw completely in the refrigerator before baking, then follow baking instructions.
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Bake for 30 minutes or until top is bubbly and brown.