Make-Ahead Spinach Strata with Bacon and Cheese
This big, tasty dish can be prepped up to a full day ahead and is perfect for out-of-town guests and holiday brunches. While this version uses cheddar, it’s also delicious with Swiss cheese.
Serves: 8Prep: 20 minutesCook: 54 minutesTotal: 1 hour 14 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 6 slices bacon, chopped
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cup sliced green onions
- 1 package (5 oz.) baby spinach
- 8 large eggs
- 2 3⁄4 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon Kroger® Ground Mustard
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 loaf (1 lb.) French or Italian bread, cut into ¾” cubes
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Cook bacon and mushrooms in a large skillet over medium-high heat for 9 minutes or until bacon is cooked through and mushrooms are beginning to brown.
- Add onions and cook 30 seconds. Add spinach in 2 batches; cook, stirring, just until wilted. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, milk, mustard, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Add the bread cubes and toss gently to combine.
- Place half of the bread mixture in a 13”x9” baking dish lightly coated with cooking spray; top with half of the cheese. Top with spinach mixture and remaining bread mixture, sprinkle with remaining cheese. Cover and refrigerate 2 hours or up to overnight.
- Let strata stand at room temperature 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 375°F for 45-55 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Refrigerate leftovers.