These sponge cakes are lighter than air, and have a sweet, rich flavor. You can add citrus zest and two teaspoons of the juice to this recipe if you want to amp up the flavor!
Serves: 22Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 1 tsp. cream of tartar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line 22 muffin cups with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl combine flour and baking powder. Whisk well to combine. Set aside.
- In the work bowl of a stand mixer, add egg whites and cream of tartar. Whip on medium speed until the egg whites are very frothy, about 1 minute, then slowly add in sugar. Beat until egg whites are very light and shiny, about 3 minutes.
- Reduce the mixer to medium low and add vanilla, oil, and egg yolks one at a time. Scrape the sides of the bowl with a spatula to make sure everything is well combined.
- Divide batter between prepared cupcake liners. Bake for 13 to 15 minutes, or until cakes are just golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center of a cake comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 3 minutes, then transfer cakes to a wire rack to cool completely.