Mango-Saffron Chutney (Kairi Kesar Ki Chutney)
Use a regular skillet (not nonstick) for fool-proof caramelization of the sugar.
Serves: 16Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 1 hour 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 cups green mango, peeled, pitted, and coarsely shredded
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tsp. grated gingerroot
- 2 dried red chilies, pounded
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. saffron threads, crushed and soaked in 4 Tbsp. hot water for 10 minutes
- In a glass bowl, combine the mango and the sugar; mix well. Let it stand for about 1 hour.
- Heat a small skillet on medium. Add the mango-sugar mixture. Lower the heat and cook for 10 to 12 minutes or until the mangoes become very soft and the sugar begins to turn a light brown.
- Add the ginger, red chilies, and salt; mix well. Strain the saffron and discard any residue. Add the saffron-infused water and mix well. Simmer for 1 minute. Remove from heat and let cool for about 20 minutes. Cover and refrigerate until needed.