Maple Oat Bread
Filled with lots of healthy grains and mineral-packed maple syrup, this bread is a great breakfast treat or soup accompaniment.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 2 hours 45 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 3⁄4 cup warm water, heated to 110°F
- 2 1⁄4 tsp. instant yeast
- 2 cups white whole-wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup plus 1 Tbsp. rolled oats, divided
- 1⁄3 cup plus 2 Tbsp. maple syrup, divided
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 tsp. sea salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. cinnamon
- In a small bowl, combine water with yeast. Allow it to sit for 5 minutes until it bubbles.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, mix flour, 1⁄2 cup oats, 1⁄3 cup maple syrup, vanilla, butter, salt, and cinnamon. Add the yeast mixture and run the machine on medium low for 5 minutes while the dough kneads.
- Remove the bowl from the mixer and cover with a towel. Place bowl in a warm place to rise for 1 hour.
- Remove the dough from the mixing bowl. Spray a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray and place dough inside. Allow dough to rise for another hour. Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a loaf pan.
- Transfer dough to loaf pan, forming a loaf. Top loaf with remaining 2 tablespoons maple syrup and remaining 2 tablespoons oats and bake for 25 minutes or until a knife inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.