If your turkey is larger or smaller than 15 pounds, you can increase or decrease the salt by 1 tablespoon for every 5 pounds of bird.
Serves: 14Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 4 hours 15 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 3 Tbsp. kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp. orange zest
- 1 Tbsp. minced fresh rosemary
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme leaves
- 1 Tbsp. ground black pepper
- 1 whole turkey (15 lbs.), not pre-salted or pre-treated
- 3 medium shallots, peeled and sliced
- ½ cup orange juice
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 2 cups chicken or turkey broth
- Two days before you want to serve the turkey, make the rub: In a small bowl, combine salt, brown sugar, orange zest, rosemary, thyme, and black pepper.
- Place the turkey on a large work surface and use your hands to loosen the skin from the muscle. Rub several teaspoons of the rub between the skin and muscle of the bird, sprinkle 1 tablespoon inside the bird, and rub the rest over the skin of the bird.
- Move the turkey to a large platter or roasting rack and place in the refrigerator uncovered. Let the turkey sit in the refrigerator for 48 hours.
- Remove turkey from the refrigerator and place breast-side up on the rack of a large roasting pan. Set aside to warm up for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 450ºF.
- In a large glass measuring cup, combine shallots, orange juice, olive oil, maple syrup, and broth. Pour mixture into the bottom of the roasting pan. Place the roasting pan and turkey in the preheated oven and turn oven down to 350ºF.
- Roast the turkey for 45 minutes, then baste by carefully removing the turkey from the oven and pouring the broth and drippings from the bottom of roasting pan over the bird. Return the turkey to the oven and repeat the process of cooking for 45 minutes and then basting another 3 times (for a total of 3 hours). If the top of the turkey starts to get too brown, cover the top with foil and continue cooking.
- Check the temperature of the turkey by inserting a thermometer into the deepest part of the breast. Remove the turkey from the oven when the internal temperature reaches 165ºF.
- Allow the turkey to cool for 15 minutes, then carefully move it to a platter. Carve the turkey and serve.