Maple Pecan Sticky Bars
These go great with coffee for an energy boost on a chilly afternoon. You can substitute hickory nuts or walnuts for the pecans for slightly different flavors.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 8 hours 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ⅓ cup packed light brown sugar
- ¼ cup whipping cream
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1⅓ cups coarsely chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter 9" × 9" pan; set aside.
- Make the crust: Beat butter, granulated sugar, and egg yolk in a bowl. Add flour; mix until dough begins to clump up and hold together. Press dough into bottom and slightly up sides of pan. Bake 20 minutes. Cool.
- Make the topping: Combine syrup, brown sugar, cream, and butter in a sauce pan. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; boil 30 seconds. Remove from heat; mix in vanilla and nuts.
- Pour into baked crust. Bake until center is bubbling, about 15 minutes.
- Cool completely and chill overnight before using.