Maple Pecan Sticky Bars
These go great with coffee for an energy boost on a chilly afternoon. You can substitute hickory nuts or walnuts for the pecans for slightly different flavors.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 8 hours 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter, softened, divided
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup
- 1⁄3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup whipping cream
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄3 cups coarsely chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter 9-by-9-inch pan; set aside.
- Beat 1⁄2 cup butter, granulated sugar, and egg yolk in a bowl. Add flour; mix until dough begins to clump up and hold together. Press dough into bottom and slightly up sides of pan. Bake 20 minutes. Cool.
- Combine syrup, brown sugar, cream, and remaining 1⁄4 cup butter in a sauce pan. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; boil 30 seconds. Remove from heat; mix in vanilla and nuts. Pour into baked crust.
- Bake until center is bubbling, about 15 minutes. Cool completely and chill overnight before using.