Maple Sausage & Apple Braid
The perfect centerpiece for your holiday feast, this braided bread is stuffed with a combination of Jimmy Dean® Maple Pork Sausage, sweet apples and tangy cranberries. When ready, you’re left with a warm, show-stopping pastry that’s sure to please.
Serves: 6Prep: 20 minutesCook: 35 minutesTotal: 55 minutes
- 1 package (16 oz.) Jimmy Dean® Premium Pork Maple Sausage
- 2 apples, peeled, finely chopped
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries
- 3 eggs, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 package (17.3 oz.) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 2 teaspoons water
- Preheat oven to 400°F. In large skillet, cook sausage and apples over medium-high heat 8-10 minutes or until sausage is thoroughly cooked, stirring frequently; drain. Cool slightly.
- In large bowl, combine onions, cranberries and 2 eggs. Add sausage mixture and flour; mix lightly.
- Unroll pastry sheets onto 2 baking sheets. Spoon half of the sausage mixture down center of each sheet.
- Beat remaining egg with water; brush onto uncovered pastry.
- Use a sharp knife to make 7 diagonal cuts in exposed pastry on each side of filling, stopping 1” from filling. Fold strips over filling, alternating sides until filling is enclosed.
- Brush pastries with remaining egg; sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake 23-27 minutes or until braids are crisp and golden brown. Cut each into 6 slices to serve. Refrigerate leftovers.