These are chewy Snickerdoodles that have big maple flavor. If you can’t find the maple sugar, you can add 1⁄4 teaspoon of maple flavoring to 1⁄4 cup light brown sugar.
Makes: 36Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. baking powder
- 1⁄4 tsp. baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar, divided
- 3 Tbsp. maple syrup
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄4 cup maple sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon; set aside.
- Cream butter, shortening, 1 cup granulated sugar, and maple syrup until light and fluffy. Add egg; beat well. Stir in flour mixture until well blended.
- Mix remaining granulated sugar and maple sugar in a small saucer. Roll dough into balls and then into sugar mixture.
- Place on ungreased baking sheets; bake 8 to 10 minutes. Cookies should still look slightly underdone.
- Cool on cookie sheets 5 minutes. Remove and cool completely.