Maquereaux au Vin Blanc (Mackerel in White Wine)
Mackerel marinated in white wine is a very popular appetizer. And very healthy! Serve them with small boiled potatoes.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 13 hours 15 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 bottle Sauvignon blanc
- 1 onion, medium, peeled and diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- ¾ cup cider vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 Tbsp. thyme
- 3 cloves
- 1 tsp. coriander seeds
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 lemon
- 6 small mackerel fillets
- In a medium saucepan, pour the white wine. Add the onion slices, the sliced carrots, vinegar, bay leaves, thyme, cloves, coriander seeds, and salt and the pepper. Bring to a boil over high heat. Then cover and reduce the heat to its lowest setting. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Cut the lemon into thin slices and reserve. Take a baking dish, and lay the fillets in it. Cover them with the lemon slices. Pour the white wine reduction over them. Put in the oven and cook for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven, let it cool, then cover the pan in plastic wrap and put in the refrigerator for 12 hours.
- Serve cold.