Mardi Gras Cakes
Traditional king cakes baked in New Orleans have a little plastic baby doll hidden inside. Whoever finds the baby gets good luck. We’ve avoided choking hazards here by substituting a gumdrop for a plastic toy.
Serves: 24Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 1 hour 5 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 box (18.25 oz.) yellow cake mix plus ingredients called for on box
- 1 tub (16 oz.) vanilla frosting
- Food coloring
- 2 Tbsp. multicolored sprinkles
- 1 gumdrop
- Preheat oven according to cake mix instructions. Line a muffin tin with paper baking cups.
- Prepare batter according to instructions for cupcakes. Pour into muffin cups. Hide a candy in one of the cups of batter.
- Bake according to instructions. Allow cupcakes to cool completely.
- Separate the tub of frosting into smaller batches and color them with food coloring. Frost and decorate cupcakes with sprinkles.