This is a tomato sauce that does not cook for very long, so it retains the garden-fresh flavor of the tomatoes and herbs in it.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- ½ medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 can 28 oz. crushed tomatoes
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- ¼ tsp. sugar
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- On medium-low heat, sauté the onions and garlic in oil until soft. Add tomatoes and cook for about 5 minutes. Add basil, sugar, salt, and pepper and cook for 10 minutes.
- Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper if necessary.