Marinated Beet Salad
The pairing of sweet, tender beets with salty, toothsome feta cheese is a classic. In this recipe, make a tangy marinade for the beets and then use it as a dressing for the salad.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 lb. fresh beets, ends trimmed (about 3 to 4 medium beets)
- 6 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. white wine vinegar
- ⅛ tsp. dried oregano leaves
- ⅛ tsp. dried basil
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- ½ tsp. freshly chopped parsley
- 1 tsp. finely chopped shallots
- 4 cups arugula
- 6 oz. feta cheese, broken into 1" pieces
- ¼ cup pine nuts, lightly toasted
- In a small saucepan over high heat, add beets and enough water to cover. Bring to a boil. Cook about 30 minutes, or until tender. Chill, then peel and cut into ⅛" slices.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together vinegar, olive oil, oregano, basil, parsley, salt, and pepper. Stir in the shallots and beets. Let sit for 15 minutes to marinade beets.
- Divide arugula evenly onto 4 plates. Arrange slices of beets over leaves, sprinkle with cheese and pine nuts, then drizzle with beet marinade.