Serve this dish cold, garnished with pickled vegetables.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 4 hours 25 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable oil
- 2 fryer chickens (2 1⁄2 lbs. each), cut into 8 serving pieces
- 1 cup canned sliced carrots, drained
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 large white onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 8 sprigs thyme
- 1⁄8 tsp. dried marjoram
- 1 bay leaf
- 12 peppercorns
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3 cups white vinegar
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Brown the chicken pieces about 10 minutes per side. Remove chicken from pan and drain on paper towels.
- Place chicken pieces in a large stockpot. Top with the carrots, onions, celery, garlic, thyme, marjoram, bay leaf, peppercorns, and salt. Pour the vinegar over the top. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and cool to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours.