Marinated Grilled Strip Steak
Strip steak is an outdoor grilling favorite. Serve with an easy vegetable such as green beans for a summer night treat.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 35 minutesTotal: 5 hoursDifficulty: Medium
- 3⁄4 cup dry red wine
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp. dry sherry
- 1⁄2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1⁄2 tsp. dried basil
- 4 New York strip steaks (8 oz. each), trimmed of all visible fat
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- Combine wine, garlic, sherry, thyme, and basil in a small saucepan. Simmer, uncovered, over medium heat for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature. Refrigerate in a sealed container until ready to use. Marinade can be prepared up to 48 hours in advance.
- Place steaks in a large plastic storage bag with a leak-proof seal. Pour the marinade over the steaks and squeeze out as much of the air as possible before sealing the bag. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours or up to 24 hours.
- Preheat the grill. Lightly oil the grilling rack to ensure the steaks do not stick. Remove the steaks from the marinade, reserving the marinade for basting.
- Season the steaks with salt and pepper. Grill, basting frequently with the marinade. For steaks of approximately 1 1⁄2-inch thickness, grill 8 to 12 minutes per side for medium-rare. Increase the cooking time by 3 minutes per side for medium, 5 minutes for medium-well, and 7 minutes for well-done.
- Transfer the steaks to a warmed platter and let the steaks rest for about 5 minutes before serving to allow the natural juices to reabsorb. Adjust seasoning to taste. Serve immediately.