Typically made with orange marmalade, this recipe works equally well with lemon, tangerine, blood orange, or grapefruit varieties.
Serves: 10Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1⁄2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- Grated zest and juice of 3 oranges, reserved separately
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1⁄2 tsp. kosher salt
- 2⁄3 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup orange marmalade
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-by-inch loaf pan with pan spray, and line the bottom and short sides with a strip of parchment.
- In a large bowl, beat together butter, sugar, and orange zest until creamy and smooth. Add eggs one by one. Sift together cake flour, baking soda, and salt; add to butter mixture alternately with sour cream. Stir in vanilla.
- Transfer half the batter to prepared pan. Spread 3⁄4 cup marmalade onto batter, top with remaining batter, and swirl briefly with a spoon. Bake 20 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 325°F and bake 30 minutes longer, or until a pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Tent with foil if loaf browns too quickly.
- Remove from oven and cool 10 minutes before removing from pan. Brush remaining marmalade across the warm crust, then continue cooling on a rack.