Marseilles Whipped Cod and Potatoes
You can use either salt cod or fresh cod in this dish. If you use salt cod, you’ll need to soak overnight in 2 cups cold water, changing the water once or twice. You can also substitute half-and-half for the milk or cream if you would like to lighten it up.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 55 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 4 medium potatoes (2 lbs.)
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup light cream
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1¼ lbs. fresh cod
- ¼ cup chopped chives
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- Boil the potatoes in their skins until a knife slides into the flesh easily, about 20 minutes.
- Using a long-handled fork, spear the boiled potatoes and peel them. Put the potatoes through a ricer and into a bowl. Whisk in the olive oil and the cream, then add salt, pepper, and basil and keep warm.
- Steam the cod about 15 minutes, until very tender. Make sure there are no bones.
- Place the cod in a food processor and process until smooth.
- Fold the cod into the potatoes and mix in the chives and parsley. Blend with a fork until fluffy. Serve hot.