Matzo Ball Soup
Matzo balls can be made in advance and refrigerated overnight. Just allow more time for the matzo balls to reheat in the broth.
Serves: 10Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 3 hours 20 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tsp. plus 1 Tbsp. salt, divided
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper, divided
- 4 Tbsp. chicken fat or oil
- 1⁄3 cup club soda
- 3 Tbsp. minced fresh parsley, divided
- 1 cup matzo meal
- 10 cups chicken broth
- In a glass or ceramic bowl, whisk eggs until well beaten. Add 1 teaspoon salt, 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper, rendered chicken fat or oil, club soda, and 1 tablespoon parsley; whisk until well blended. Add matzo meal; stir until meal is completely moistened. Cover and refrigerate 2 hours.
- Bring a pot of lightly salted water to a rolling boil. With wet fingers, scoop up bits of matzo mixture and lightly roll into small balls, about 1 1⁄2 in diameter. Drop matzo balls into boiling water. Cover pot, leaving cover slightly off-center to allow steam to escape. Cook 30 minutes.
- Bring broth to a boil over high heat in a large soup pot. Add 1 tablespoon salt and 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper. Reduce heat to medium low. Remove matzo balls from water with a slotted spoon. Drop balls into broth. Keep warm until ready to serve. Sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons parsley.