Matzo Ball Soup with Turkey Meatballs
This classic Passover comfort food is warming and welcoming.
Serves: 6Prep: 30 minutesCook: 40 minutesTotal: 1 hour 10 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 8 cups Simple Truth Organic™ Low Sodium Free Range Chicken Broth
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, julienned
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 5 eggs, divided
- 1⁄3 cup schmaltz, melted (or vegetable oil)
- 1 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 1⁄3 cups matzo meal, divided
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- In a medium bowl, whisk 4 eggs. Add schmaltz, broth and pepper. Stir in 1 cup matzo meal and mix until combined. Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Bring 3 quarts water and salt to a boil.
- With damp hands, roll mixture into balls and gently place into water. Cover and simmer 30-40 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spay with nonstick spray.
- In a mixing bowl, combine turkey, 1 egg, ⅓ cup matzo meal, onion powder and 1 teaspoon salt and mix well.
- Form into 30 small meatballs and arrange on baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes.
- In a 4-quart saucepan, bring broth, vegetables and salt to a simmer. Fill bowls with soup, matzo balls and meat balls.
- Garnish with fresh parsley.
- Refrigerate leftovers.