Meat Belli Ram (Belli Ram Ka Gosht)
This popular dish is named after the famed Indian chef Beli Ram from northern India. You can buy ginger-garlic paste at Indian markets and online.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 45 minutesTotal: 5 hours 45 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 cups plain yogurt, whipped
- 2 medium-sized red onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 Tbsp. ginger-garlic paste
- 2 cloves
- 2 green cardamom pods, roughly pounded
- 1 cinnamon stick (1”)
- 1 tsp. red chili powder
- Table salt, to taste
- 1½ lbs. lean boneless lamb, cut in 1” cubes
- 2 Tbsp. clarified butter
- 1 Tbsp. coriander seeds, roughly pounded
- 1 cup water
- In a bowl or resealable plastic bag, combine the yogurt, onions, ginger-garlic paste, cloves, cardamom pods, cinnamon, red chili powder, and salt; mix well. Add the lamb and coat evenly with the marinade. Refrigerate, covered, for at least 4 hours, or overnight.
- In a deep pan, heat the butter. Add the coriander seeds. When they begin to sizzle, add the lamb and any remaining marinade.
- Cook for about 15 minutes. Add the water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 1 hour or until the lamb is tender.
- Uncover and increase heat to high. Cook until the fat begins to leave the sides of the lamb. This will take about 5 to 8 minutes, depending on the leanness of your meat. Remove from heat. Serve hot.