Meatball Grill Bombs
If you’re feeding meat lovers, this is the way to go. Italian-seasoned meatballs surround fresh mozzarella, then are packed in an onion which is then wrapped in bacon! Time on the grill softens the onion to its sweetest and most tender and the bacon renders its salty and savory best.
Serves: 12Prep: 30 minutesCook: 40 minutesTotal: 1 hour 10 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 large onions
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 large eggs
- 6 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese
- 24 slices Kroger® Fully Cooked Traditional Bacon
- Grease grill grates. Prepare grill to medium-low heat.
- Cut onions in half from stem to stem. Carefully peel layers, separating into 24 largest onion “petals” and keeping same-size petals together. Finely chop remaining onions to measure 1½ cups.
- To make filling, in a bowl, combine beef, pork, minced onion, parsley, garlic, Italian seasoning, pepper flakes and eggs; mix gently to combine. Fill each onion petal with about ¼ cup filling (smaller petals will need less). Press ½ ounce cheese into 1 of each filled onion petal pair. Top with cheese-free onion petal. Wrap each with 2 slices bacon, securing with wooden picks if needed.
- Place onions on grill; cover. Reduce heat to low. Grill 30-40 minutes until internal temperature of meat is 165°F.