Meatball Sandwich by the Yard
This hearty sandwich can be made with any vegetables you’d like. Sliced mushrooms or summer squash would be good additions.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Easy
- 1 package (16 oz.) frozen precooked meatballs
- 1⁄4 cup plus 2 Tbsp. butter, divided
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 green bell peppers, chopped
- 1 can (8 oz.) pizza sauce
- 2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. dried Italian seasoning
- 1⁄8 tsp. pepper
- 1 loaf (1 lb.) French bread
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded provolone cheese
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Microwave meatballs according to package directions. Let cool for 15 minutes, then cut each in half; set aside.
- In medium saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add onion and bell peppers; cook and stir for 5 to 6 minutes until crisp-tender. Add pizza sauce, mustard, Italian seasoning, and pepper; simmer 5 minutes.
- Cut French bread in half lengthwise, making 2 long halves. Place cut-side up on baking sheet. Spread with remaining butter, then sprinkle with provolone cheese.
- Add onion sauce; spread evenly. Top with meatballs, placing cut-side down. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes until bread is crisp and cheese is melted and beginning to brown. Cut into pieces to serve.