For best results and perfect slices, bake the moussaka early and allow it to cool completely. Reheat the moussaka at 300°F for 15 minutes, then slice it and serve.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 35 minutesTotal: 2 hours 35 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 large eggplants, stemmed and cut into 1⁄2-inch slices
- 3 large zucchini, stemmed and cut into 1⁄2-inch slices
- 1⁄2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 tsp. salt, divided
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. pepper, divided
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup whole milk, hot
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup Greek yogurt
- 3⁄4 cup grated kefalotyri cheese or Pecorino Romano cheese, divided
- 1⁄8 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 allspice berries
- 1⁄2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 cup bread crumbs, divided
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Brush both sides of the eggplant and zucchini slices with 1⁄4 cup of the oil and season them with 1 1⁄2 teaspoons of salt and 1⁄2 teaspoon of pepper. Place the slices on a baking sheet. Bake them for 15 minutes, flip the slices over, and bake them for another 10 minutes. Place the baked slices on a tray lined with paper towels to absorb excess oil. Reserve.
- In a medium pot over high heat, put the potatoes, 1 teaspoon of the salt, and enough water to cover the potatoes by 1 inch. Cover the pot and bring the water to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and cook the potatoes for 15 minutes or until they are fork-tender. Drain the potatoes and return them to the empty pot. Add the butter and milk and mash the potatoes. Season them with 1⁄2 teaspoon salt and 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper. Remove the pot from the heat and allow the potatoes to cool. Once the potatoes are cooled, add the eggs and yogurt, and whip the potatoes using a hand mixer. Stir in 1⁄2 cup of the cheese and the nutmeg.
- Heat the remaining oil in a large skillet over medium heat for 30 seconds. Add the onions and cook them for 5 minutes. Add the tomato sauce, bay leaves, and allspice. Increase the heat to medium-high and bring the sauce to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and season the sauce with the remaining salt and pepper. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until the sauce thickens. Remove the bay leaves and allspice from the sauce. Add the oregano. Remove the skillet from the heat.
- To assemble the moussaka, line the bottom of a greased large, deep baking dish with 1⁄3 cup of the bread crumbs. Layer the eggplant slices over the bread crumbs so they completely cover the bottom of the dish. Spread half of the tomato sauce evenly over the eggplant slices. Sprinkle another 1⁄3 cup of the bread crumbs over the sauce. Layer the zucchini slices over the bread crumbs to completely cover the surface. Top the zucchini slices with the remaining sauce and bread crumbs.
- Evenly spread the cooled mashed potatoes over the entire surface of the dish. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the mashed potatoes. Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 30 to 40 minutes or until the top is golden. Allow the moussaka to cool for at least 30 minutes before slicing it and serving.