Meatloaf with Butternut Squash Sauce
This tender meatloaf is topped with a warm and creamy butternut squash sauce that’s perfect for chilly evenings spent around the dinner table.
Serves: 6Prep: 20 minutesCook: 1 hour 10 minutesTotal: 1 hour 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 1⁄2 pounds 93% lean ground beef
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1⁄2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 3⁄4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1 pound butternut squash, cut into ½” cubes
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- In large bowl, combine beef, onion, breadcrumbs, ketchup, tomato paste, egg, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, thyme, ½ teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper.
- Form meat mixture into 4”x8” loaf; arrange on prepared pan. Bake 55 to 60 minutes, until internal temperature reaches 160°F.
- Meanwhile, in large skillet over medium heat, add olive oil and shallots. Sauté 2 to 3 minutes, then add the squash, ¼ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon pepper, nutmeg and broth. Cover; cook 8 to 10 minutes.
- Once squash is tender, transfer mixture to deep bowl. Use an immersion blender to puree sauce.
- To serve, cut meatloaf into slices and top with sauce.