Meatloaf with Creamy Mushroom Gravy
You can make this meatloaf in a loaf pan, but here we form it into a loaf on a baking sheet to allow more of the surface to be exposed to the heat and develop more flavor. Serve with steamed broccoli and mashed potatoes.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 1 hour 45 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 tsp. butter, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and finely chopped
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 lb. ground pork
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp. paprika
- ¾ tsp. salt, divided
- ½ tsp. ground pepper, divided
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 8 oz. fresh sliced button mushrooms
- 1 jar (12 oz.) mushroom gravy
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and grease it with nonstick cooking spray.
- Add the oil, 1 teaspoon butter, garlic, and onion to a large microwave-safe bowl; cover and microwave on high for 30 seconds. Uncover and stir; repeat at 30-second intervals until the onions are transparent. Add the breadcrumbs and milk; cover and let sit for 10 minutes, or until the breadcrumbs have been absorbed. Add the beef, pork, egg, paprika, ½ tsp. salt, and ¼ tsp. black pepper; mix well. Form into a loaf on the prepared baking sheet. Brush the top of the loaf with Worcestershire sauce.
- Cover the loaf with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for an additional 30 minutes, or until a meat thermometer inserted in the center of the meatloaf registers at least 165ºF. Remove from the oven and let stand for 10 minutes before slicing.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt the remaining 3 teaspoons butter. Add the mushrooms and the remaining ¼ tsp. salt and ¼ tsp. black pepper; sauté browned and the juices run out, about 7–10 minutes. Drain the juices from the pan, reduce heat to medium, and stir in the gravy. Cook until warmed through. Serve with the meatloaf.