Meatloaf with Creamy Mushroom Gravy
You can make this meatloaf in a loaf pan, but here we form it into a loaf on a baking sheet to allow more of the surface to be exposed to the heat and develop more flavor. Serve with steamed broccoli and mashed potatoes.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 1 hour 45 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 tsp. butter, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 lb. ground pork
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 3⁄4 tsp. salt, divided
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground pepper, divided
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 8 oz. fresh sliced button mushrooms
- 1 jar (12 oz.) mushroom gravy
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and grease it with nonstick cooking spray.
- Add the oil, 1 teaspoon butter, garlic, and onion to a large microwave-safe bowl; cover and microwave on high for 30 seconds. Uncover and stir; repeat at 30-second intervals until the onions are transparent. Add the breadcrumbs and milk; cover and let sit for 10 minutes, or until the breadcrumbs have been absorbed. Add the beef, pork, egg, paprika, 1⁄2 tsp. salt, and 1⁄4 tsp. black pepper; mix well. Form into a loaf on the prepared baking sheet. Brush the top of the loaf with Worcestershire sauce.
- Cover the loaf with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for an additional 30 minutes, or until a meat thermometer inserted in the center of the meatloaf registers at least 165°F. Remove from the oven and let stand for 10 minutes before slicing.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt the remaining 3 teaspoons butter. Add the mushrooms and the remaining 1⁄4 tsp. salt and 1⁄4 tsp. black pepper; sauté browned and the juices run out, about 7 to 10 minutes. Drain the juices from the pan, reduce heat to medium, and stir in the gravy. Cook until warmed through. Serve with the meatloaf.