This is the Italian version of quiche without a crust. Experiment with different types of vegetables and cheeses.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Easy
- 1 lb. Idaho potatoes
- 3 large red peppers
- 1 large onion, peeled and sliced
- ½ bunch fresh oregano
- 3 oz. fontina cheese
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- ⅛ tsp. Kosher or sea salt
- ⅛ tsp. freshly cracked black pepper
- 3 whole eggs
- 6 egg whites
- 1 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 1 cup skim milk
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Slice the potatoes into large pieces. Stem, seed, and slice the peppers. Cut the onion into thick slices. Chop the oregano leaves. Grate the fontina.
- Separately toss the potatoes, peppers, and onion in oil and drain on a rack. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Roast all the vegetables separately in the oven until partially cooked. Layer all in a baking dish.
- Whisk together the eggs, egg whites, yogurt, milk, and cheese; pour into the baking dish. Bake until the egg mixture is completely set, approximately 30 to 45 minutes. Sprinkle with chopped oregano and serve.