Mediterranean Olive Bread
Any type of olive can be used in this bread, but a mixture of black and green olives that have pits will taste best. Be sure to remove the pits before mixing them into the dough.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Easy
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose white flour
- 3⁄4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. baking powder
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 3⁄4 tsp. dried rosemary
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup olives, pitted and coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place a rack in the lower third of the oven. Grease a 6-cup loaf pan with butter.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder, and salt. Coarsely grind or crush the dried herbs and stir them into the flour mixture. In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk, and oil until the yolks are incorporated. Add the flour mixture and the olives to the liquid mixture. Fold together until the dry ingredients are barely moistened.
- The thick batter should be scraped into the pan and spread evenly with a spatula. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before slicing. Serve warm or cold.