Mediterranean Vegetable Stew
This vegetarian stew can be served over brown rice, pasta, or couscous. You can make it a day ahead; refrigerating it overnight and then reheating it before serving.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 50 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 large yellow bell pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 large eggplant, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ⅛ tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 small zucchini, chopped
- 1 small red chili pepper, stem trimmed
- 4 medium Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 3 Tbsp. chopped thyme
- 3 Tbsp. chopped basil
- Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium-low heat. Add onion and garlic; cook gently and stir until tender, about 5 minutes. Add bell pepper; cook and stir until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle eggplant with salt, black pepper, and flour. Add to pan and cook, stirring, for about 8 minutes until eggplant begins to soften. Add zucchini, chili pepper, and tomatoes. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle with thyme and basil before serving.