Melitzanes Yiahni (Braised Eggplant)
This eggplant dish is best served over a bed of couscous or rice.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 30 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 large eggplants
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 cans (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 1 Tbsp. dried oregano
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- Wash eggplant and cut into small cubes; place in colander and sprinkle with salt. Place colander over plate; let stand 30 minutes to drain bitter juices.
- Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to pan; add onion and sauté over medium heat until soft, about 5 minutes. Add garlic; mix 30 seconds. Add tomatoes and water; bring to boil.
- Rinse eggplant well and drain. Add to pan with boiling sauce. Partially cover; simmer over medium-low heat 30 minutes, until eggplant is soft and sauce has reduced. Stir occasionally; add oregano, salt, and pepper.
- Add remaining olive oil to pan; stir well. Let simmer another 15 minutes over medium-low heat. Just before removing from stove, add parsley and give a few quick stirs.