You will need either a charcoal or a gas grill, as well as a mortar and pestle, to prepare this dish with finesse.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 large eggplant, skin pierced several times with a fork
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat the gas or charcoal grill to medium-high heat. Place the eggplant on the grill and cook for 20–30 minutes or until the skin is completely charred and the inside is soft. Let the eggplant cool for 10 minutes. Cut the eggplant open (lengthwise) and scoop out the softened flesh, discarding the charred skin.
- In a medium-size mortar, add garlic and salt and mash with a pestle into a fine paste. Add the eggplant and vinegar and mash until smooth.
- Slowly add oil to the eggplant mixture and continue to mash until the oil is completely incorporated. Stir in parsley and adjust seasoning, if necessary. Serve at room temperature.