Melted Cheese Rolls
Cornmeal and whole wheat flour add fiber to these delicious little rolls. Be sure to serve them warm so the cheese is soft and melty.
Serves: 36Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 2 hours 10 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- ½ cup orange juice
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup skim milk
- ½ cup cornmeal
- ½ cup honey
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup bread flour
- 2–3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ tsp. salt
- 1 package (0.25 oz.) active dry yeast
- 2½ cups diced sharp Cheddar cheese
- 2 Tbsp. butter, melted
- In medium saucepan, combine juice, water, and milk and bring to a boil. Stir in cornmeal; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens. Remove from heat and stir in honey and 2 tablespoons butter. Let cool for 30 minutes.
- In large bowl, combine whole-wheat flour, bread flour, ½ cup all-purpose flour, salt, and yeast and mix well. Add orange juice mixture; beat for 2 minutes.
- Gradually add enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a stiff dough. Knead dough on lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 8–9 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning to grease top.
- Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch down dough and divide into thirds. Knead ⅓ of the cheese cubes into each section of dough. Divide each third into 12 pieces; roll into smooth balls.
- Place balls on greased baking sheets about 2 inches apart. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30–40 minutes. Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Brush rolls with melted butter, then bake for 20–30 minutes until deep golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool; serve warm.