Meringues are light and airy — the perfect way to ring in the New Year!
- 3 eggs whites, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons white decorating sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Add egg whites to the bowl of a stand mixer with a whisk attachment. Beat on medium-high for 3 minutes. Add cream of tartar and vanilla extract, mix for 10-15 seconds until combined. With the mixer on, gradually add sugar and beat on high until smooth and glossy.
- Place batter in a bag, fitted with piping tip (or use a spoon). Pipe 1-inch meringues onto a lined baking tray. Sprinkle with decorating sugar if desired.
- Turn off the oven and place baking trays inside, leaving the door closed for 2-3 hours. Once the meringues have a matte finish, remove from the oven. Store in an air tight container.
- Tip: Sprinkle cookies with white sugar crystals so they “sparkle” a little bit for New Year’s Eve. You can also stir in mini chocolate chips, if desired.