Meringue-Topped Banana Wafer Pudding
In this version of banana pudding, vanilla cream-filled wafer cookies are layered with fresh bananas, homemade vanilla pudding and topped with meringue.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 4 hours 20 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 package (6.17 oz.) crispy wafer cookies filled with vanilla cream
- 4 large bananas, peeled and sliced
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a medium baking dish with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- In medium saucepan, combine ½ cup sugar, flour, salt, and egg yolks and beat well. Gradually add milk, stirring until combined. Cook pudding over medium heat until mixture thickens and boils, stirring constantly, about 8 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Put a layer of vanilla wafer cookies in the bottom of prepared baking dish. Spoon half of pudding over cookies. Add a layer of banana slices. Repeat layers with the cookies, the remaining pudding and banana slices. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate while preparing meringue.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Gradually beat in remaining ¼ cup sugar until stiff peaks form. Scoop meringue into a pastry bag with a round tip. Pipe meringue in “kisses” all over pudding.
- Preheat broiler. Place pudding under broiler until lightly browned. Remove from oven and chill for at least 4 hours before serving.