Mexican Black Bean Casserole
This is an excellent side dish or main course. It will serve fewer people if you serve it as a main dish.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 1 hour 25 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 4 strips bacon
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 medium onion, peeled and minced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 small jalapeño peppers, seeded and minced
- Juice of 1 medium lime
- Juice of 1⁄2 medium lemon
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. ground coriander seeds
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup chopped cilantro, plus 6 sprigs for garnish
- 2 oz. rum
- 2 cans (14.5 oz.) black beans
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup grated Cheddar cheese
- Fry the bacon, drain on paper towels, and crumble. Set aside
- To the same pan, add the beef, onion, garlic, and peppers and sauté over medium heat until soft.
- Add the cooked bacon, lime juice, lemon juice, tomatoes, salt, black pepper, coriander, cinnamon, chopped cilantro, rum, and black beans. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, for 1 hour.
- Serve with sour cream and Cheddar cheese. Garnish with cilantro sprigs.