Mexican Buddha Bowl
This is a hearty and healthy one-bowl meal with layers of southwestern flavor. Grilling the tomatillos brings a natural smokiness. Choose your own level of heat—from habanero fire to mini-bell pepper mild.
Serves: 1Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 4 medium tomatillos, halved
- 1⁄2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. salt, divided
- 2 Tbsp. cilantro leaves
- 1 medium scallion, white part only, chopped
- 1⁄2 tsp. cumin
- 1⁄4 tsp. chili powder
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tsp. lime juice
- 1 small hot pepper or sweet mini-bell pepper, sliced and divided
- 3⁄4 cup cooked wild rice blend
- 1⁄2 cup cooked black beans
- 1⁄4 cup baby spinach
- 1⁄2 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- Pre-heat a grill to medium-high heat. Grill tomatillos, seasoning with pepper and half of salt. Grill until cooked through with distinct char lines, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Process cilantro, scallion, cumin, chili powder, olive oil, lime juice, 1⁄2 hot pepper, and remaining salt in a food processor until roughly chopped and blended.
- Place wild rice and black beans in the bottom of a bowl, and top with spinach, cherry tomatoes, tomatillos, and the rest of hot pepper. Drizzle cilantro sauce over the bowl and serve.