Mexican Chocolate Cake
This rich, fragrant cake is delicious with coffee or just a glass of milk.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 55 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 5 Tbsp. cocoa powder, divided
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon, divided
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 Tbsp. corn syrup
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine flour, sugar, cornstarch, 3 tablespoons cocoa, baking soda, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, and the salt; mix well. Add the vinegar, vanilla, and 1 cup cold water; mix with a fork.
- Pour the mixture into a 9" square greased and floured cake pan. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes. Cool the cake to room temperature.
- For the glaze, combine remaining cocoa and cinnamon, oil, corn syrup, and 2 tablespoons water in a small saucepan. Cook over low heat until all the ingredients are melded. Add the confectioners’ sugar. Continue cooking, stirring constantly, until the sugar is dissolved.
- Remove the glaze from the heat and beat until it is smooth and shiny. Spread over the top of the cake. Let cool before serving.