Mexican Pork Belly and Beans
This rich and hearty dish is great with a green salad and crusty bread.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 lb. pork belly, cut into 1 " chunks
- 1 large white onion, chopped fine
- 1½ cups pureed tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp. molasses
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- ½ tsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- 2 cups canned pinto beans
- ¼ cup tequila
- In a large, Dutch oven over high heat, sear the pork belly, skin-side down, until dark brown, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Discard all but 2 tablespoons of fat; reduce heat to medium-high, add onions and cook, stirring often until soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, molasses, chili powder, cumin, and oregano; stir well. Add the beans. Bring to a boil. Gradually stir in the tequila and continue to cook, uncovered, for 1 hour or until the pork is well done and the mixture is the consistency of a rich stew; stir occasionally.