Quinoa is a protein-rich seed native to the Andes Mountains of South America. It is a versatile, nutritious, and delicious alternative to rice. Here we toss it with a Mexican-inspired salad. Serve it over a bed of lettuce and/or tortilla chips.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups water
- Juice and zest of 1 large lime
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground cumin
- 1⁄2 tsp. sea salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. lemon pepper
- 1 can (15 oz.) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 large Roma tomato, diced
- 1⁄4 cup cooked corn
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 Tbsp. chopped cilantro
- In a medium saucepan, combine 1 tablespoon olive oil, quinoa, garlic, and water. Stir, cover and simmer on medium heat for 15 minutes or until all the water is absorbed.
- In a small bowl, make the dressing by combining lime juice, zest, 2 tablespoons olive oil, cumin, salt, and lemon pepper.
- In a large bowl, combine cooked quinoa, beans, tomato, corn, onion, bell pepper, and cilantro.
- Toss with the dressing and serve warm.