Mexican Red Chili Sauce
This is the classic enchilada sauce. It's also delicious on grilled meats.
Serves: 24Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 1 hour 5 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 12 dried red ancho chilies
- 1 small white onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 3 large red tomatoes
- 4 cups water
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 250°F. Toast chilies on a baking sheet in the oven for 8 minutes. Transfer the chilies to a bowl filled with cold water. Remove the stems and seeds.
- Peel the onion and chop into 1⁄4-inch pieces. Peel the garlic cloves. Chop the tomatoes into 1⁄4-inch pieces.
- Combine all the ingredients in a medium pot. Cover and simmer on medium heat for 30 minutes. Every 5 minutes, remove the cover and push the chilies back down into the liquid.
- Add mixture to blender; purée. Strain to remove the skins.
- Add mixture to a frying pan and heat on medium, simmering for 5 minutes.