Mexican Vegetarian Rice
This rice combines nicely with refried beans for an excellent lunchtime meal.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 1 hour 5 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 1⁄2 cups long-grain white rice
- 1 large tomato, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 1⁄3 medium white onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1⁄3 cup safflower oil
- 3 1⁄2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 large carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup green peas
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Soak rice in hot water for 15 minutes, then rinse and drain. Purée the tomato, onion, and garlic in a blender.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Sauté the rice in the oil until it turns light gold in color, about 10 minutes. Pour off excess oil. Stir in the tomato purée and cook until almost dry, about 3 minutes.
- Add stock, salt, carrots, and peas, cover, and simmer over low heat for 20 minutes; liquid should be absorbed and rice should be tender. Remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes, then fluff with a fork. Sprinkle the top with cilantro and serve.