Mexican Wedding Cakes
Be sure that you grind the nuts into a flour-like substance and not a paste. To do this, add 1–2 tablespoons of the flour called for to the nuts when grinding in the food processor.
Makes: 48 cookiesHands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 1 hour 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
Makes: 48 cookies
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1½ cup confectioners’ sugar, divided
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup ground pecans
- ¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
- Beat butter until creamy. Add ½ cup confectioners’ sugar and vanilla; beat until mixture is well blended. Stir in flour and pecans. Cover with plastic wrap; chill at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper. Mix cinnamon and remaining confectioners’ sugar in a shallow dish; set aside.
- Roll dough by 2 teaspoonfuls in hands and form into crescents. Place on cookie sheets about 1" apart.
- Bake 18–20 minutes, or until bottoms are golden.
- Cool cookies about 5 minutes on baking sheet. Roll in cinnamon-sugar mixture to coat completely. Allow to cool. Store tightly covered for no more than 2–3 days.