Mexican Wedding Cookies
These traditional Mexican Christmas cookies are usually made with pecans, here we use pistachios. Feel free to use pecans or walnuts and make them year round.
Serves: 60Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 4 hours 50 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- ¼ cup shelled pistachios
- 1 cup butter
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1¾ cups confectioners’ sugar, divided
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ tsp. salt
- Grind the pistachios in a food processor. Soften the butter in a medium-sized mixing bowl by stirring with a spoon.
- Add the ground pistachios, flour, ¾ cup sugar, vanilla, and salt to the butter; mix until a stiff dough is formed. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for 4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper
- Form the dough into balls about 1" in diameter. Place on prepared baking sheets and bake for 10 minutes. The cookies should be firm but not brown.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and roll them in the remaining confectioners’ sugar. When the cookies are cool, roll them in the sugar again.