Middle Eastern Baba Ghanouj
Toast whole cumin seeds in a dry pan until they give off a slight smoke and brown slightly, about 2 minutes over medium heat. Pulverize them in a coffee grinder. If you are using powdered cumin, just give it a quick toast in a dry pan until it becomes highly fragrant, about 1 minute.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 1 hour 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 medium eggplant, halved
- 1 Tbsp. tahini
- 1½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 3 tsp. toasted cumin powder
- 3 Tbsp. lemon juice
- ¼ cup plus 1 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. chopped parsley
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place eggplant halves on a baking sheet and roast 1 hour until soft. Cool 10 minutes, then scoop pulp into a bowl.
- In a food processor, chop the garlic until it sticks to the walls of the processor bowl. Add eggplant pulp, tahini, salt, pepper, cumin, and 3 tablespoons lemon juice. Process until smooth, gradually drizzling ¼ cup olive oil.
- Transfer dip to a serving bowl and top with remaining olive oil. Garnish with paprika and parsley.