Middle Eastern Hummus
Hummus makes a nice, healthy dip or spread for pita bread, and a great dip for fresh vegetables.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 5 minutesTotal: 5 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 can (19 oz.) chickpeas
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 4 Tbsp. reserved juice from chickpeas
- 2 Tbsp., plus 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp. tahini
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 pita pockets
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Drain the chickpeas and mash them, reserving the juice from the can.
- In a small bowl, blend together the chopped garlic, mashed chickpeas, chickpea juice, lemon juice, tahini, and cumin.
- Cut pita into 6 wedges each. Place on a baking sheet and toast in the oven for 10 minutes, until crispy. Spread a heaping tablespoon of hummus on each pita wedge. Store the remainder of the hummus in a sealed container in the refrigerator until ready to use.