Middle Eastern Lamb and Apricot Kebabs
This recipe has hundreds of variations. It’s a matter of working it to your taste. Serve the lamb with couscous.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 4 hours 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 16 whole dried apricots
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh mint
- Juice and zest of 1 large lemon
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 Tbsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- ¼ tsp. ground cloves
- ⅔ cup olive oil
- 1 tsp. salt
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 1½ lbs. lamb, from the leg, cut into 1½" chunks
- Place the apricots in a bowl with warm water to cover and soak until they are plump, about 15 minutes
- Mix the mint, lemon juice, zest, garlic, cumin, coriander, clove, olive oil, salt, and cayenne pepper together in a large bowl. Add the lamb, turning to coat each piece.
- Cover tightly and refrigerate for 4 hours, turning once.
- Preheat a gas grill to medium or start the coals, waiting until they are covered with ash.
- Thread the lamb, alternating with apricots, onto skewers. Grill to the desired degree of doneness (about 4 minutes per side for medium-rare).